Panopto is Emerson's video hosting platform. If you have Zoom recordings you hope to save long term, you can download your recordings from Zoom and upload them to Panopto.
If you are saving recordings that include students, please consult the Guidance for Faculty Interested in Recording Classes. Be sure that all your students have signed consent forms that state how you will use the recordings, how long you will keep the recordings, and when you will delete them.
- To download your recordings, go to zoom.emerson.edu and click Recordings on the left menu.
- Click on the recording you would like to download. You will see three files. The first file is the video file, the second is audio-only, and the third is the closed captions file. Download the files you're interested in transferring to Panopto.
- Once your file is downloaded, check to see if it plays alright. You can edit it before you upload it to Panopto. You will also have an opportunity to trim it in Panopto. Keep in mind that the editing capabilities in Panopto are limited.
- To upload your file to Panopto, go to panopto.emerson.edu and upload it using the instructions in this guide on how to Upload Videos to Panopto
- You may also choose to upload the closed captions file from Zoom if you prefer the Zoom captions to the Panopto captions.
- Once the video is uploaded you can do minor edits in Panopto. You can also choose to edit your video in a different app before you upload it to Panopto.
Note: Panopto will generate auto-captions and editing a video in Panopto might offset the captions. Our workflow for that is to download the edited Panopto video and re-upload it. Panopto will generate new auto-captions for the new version of the video.