Training and Workshops
This series of Zoom sessions will cover topics related to teaching online and flex courses. Please RSVP for any sessions you would like to attend. You can also self-enroll in our accompanying Canvas course for additional details and supplemental resources on each session.
Schedule of sessions
Check back here as we add sessions to this list. See our Session Descriptions page for a summary of each session.
- Tuesday 1/26, 12-1pm EST I Hate Canvas!
- Wednesday 2/3, 1-2pm EST - Let’s Talk Zoom Discussion: Class participation and engagement
- Thursday 2/11, 2-3pm EST - Building Community (Part 1): Low-Stakes Tasks
- Friday 2/19, 11am-12pm EST - Making the Most of Modules
- Monday 2/22, 1-2pm EST - Let’s Talk Zoom: Just because you're Hearing doesn't mean you're Listening
- Tuesday 3/2, 11am-12pm EST - Building Community (Part 2): Gamification
- Wednesday 3/10, 3-4pm EST - Tidying Up Canvas to Help Students Stay Organized
- Wednesday 3/17, 6-7pm EST - I Hate Canvas!
- Friday 3/26, 11am-12pm EST - Let’s Talk Zoom: Maintaining the Heart of your Course in Zoom World
- Thursday 4/1, 12-1pm EST - Canvas For Everyone: Creating Accessible Content
Enroll in self-guided courses
- This course will walk you through how to meet all of the accessibility guidelines in Emerson's Teaching Guidelines During Covid-19! It covers the process of acquiring and creating course materials, fair use decision-making, and the basics of creating accessible content for online learning.
- All the materials from this summer's live course for you to read at your leisure. Go beyond the basics! This self-guided course is for faculty who want to know more about Canvas notifications and announcements, the Gradebook, the Scheduler, holding virtual office hours, the Teacher App, Groups, and Peer Review.
- This self-guided course covers various strategies and technical tips for designing online courses with Universal Design for Learning (UDL) in mind, including illustrating your course content via multiple media, scaffolding assessments to provide low-stakes opportunities for practice, and inviting students to showcase the skills and knowledge they bring in online spaces.
- Build Your Canvas Flex or Online Course in 5 Steps
- Best Practices for Teaching and Learning With Zoom
- Tips for Holding Virtual Office Hours with Zoom
- Online Library Resources for Remote Teaching
- Course Reserves
- Accessing Emerson Services from Other Countries
- Emerson VPN (to access Isilon)
- Connect to your desk phone remotely
- Troubleshooting your home Wi-Fi
- Software for Personal Devices