When sending confidential, sensitive, or personally identifiable information to a recipient outside of Emerson, we require that the message be encrypted. This requires the recipient to use a segregated online portal and user account to access the email.
To send an encrypted message when logged into your Emerson email:
1. Simply add [ENCRYPT], [SENSITIVE], or [PROTECT] in the subject of the email.
2. The external recipient will receive a message inviting them to log into the Mimecast portal to retrieve the encrypted email. If this is their first time receiving an encrypted message from Emerson, they will be sent a second email with a username (their email address) and temporary password.
3. After the recipient logs in with the temporary password, they will be required to change their password before moving on. For any subsequent encrypted messages, they will use this new password.
4. The recipient has now successfully logged into the Mimecast portal for encrypted messages! They can think of this as a separate mailbox that only contains encrypted messages sent by Emerson College, complete with an inbox and deleted items and they can even reply and compose new messages.
5. After the recipient opens the message, the Emerson sender will receive a read receipt.
6. If the recipient needs to reply, they should reply inside the Mimecast portal to maintain the security of the message. If they do, the Emerson user will receive a reply that indicates that's how they handled the message.