Emerson Students, Faculty, and Staff may reserve and borrow laptops from the Media Services Center. Advance reservations are encouraged as equipment is limited, and available on a first-come, first-served basis.
|Role||Max Rental Length|
|Students||2-4 hours during class periods only|
|Staff & Faculty||
24-48 hours during the academic term (pending availability) *Inquire about extended rentals during summer term
Students may borrow this equipment for academic use in-class and on-campus only. If the laptop is used during an evening course (beginning 6:00pm or later) and the student cannot return the item back to Media Services by 9:45 pm it must be returned by 9:00 am the next morning. Students that need computer resources outside of class time can borrow laptops in the Library, or for longer term use, are encouraged to use computers in the Computer Labs around campus.
Faculty and Staff may reserve laptops for up to 48 hours during the academic semester pending availability. Longer rentals (4 to 8 days) may be requested during summer term only by consulting with Media Services in advance. All reservations are dependent on equipment availability and demand.
When requesting a laptop, please give specific information about your equipment needs (software or hardware requirements). The laptops we vend are Macbooks, though most can boot into either Mac or Windows OS. To review the list of software available on the laptops, please consult the MS Laptop column of the Lab Software Grid.
Make A Reservation
Reservations may be requested:
- Online: via the IT Online Request form
- Email: email@example.com
- Call: 617-824-8676
- Visit: Media Services Center, 180 Tremont Street (Ansin Building), Room 409. See our operating hours here.
When picking up the laptop, you must present a current, valid Emerson ID card, and must sign a waiver accepting financial responsibility for lost or damaged equipment.
- No food or drink is allowed near the equipment.
- No additional hardware may be attached to the laptops (scanners, disc drives, printers, etc.) with the exception of USB flash drives.
- Users may not install their own software or change system settings.
- Files left on laptops will be deleted upon return of the equipment; users are encouraged to make copies of their files before returning equipment.
- Laptops must not be used for illegal activities or to interfere with or disrupt other users, services, or equipment. Disruptions include, but are not limited to, harassment, distribution of unsolicited advertising, propagation of computer viruses, and attempts to make unauthorized entry to other computers.
- Users agree to return equipment by a specific time. If a laptop is returned after that time, users must contact Media Services as soon as possible and will be charged a late fee of $25.00 per day.
- Users agree to abide by Emerson's Electronic Information Policy.
Neither Media Services nor Emerson College assumes any responsibility for damage to external disks, computers, or any loss of data, damage, or liability that may occur from use of the computer or malfunctioning hardware or software.
Please contact Media Services, 617-824-8676, if you have further questions about laptop use.